[imp] Imp Performance Problem

Registration registration at portabile.net
Sun Mar 29 16:45:29 UTC 2015

> On 2015-03-29, at 14:10 , Arjen de Korte <arjen+horde at de-korte.org> wrote:
>
> Citeren Registration <registration at portabile.net>:
>
>> Dear Imp users and developers,
>>
>> my problem is as follows:
>> - Login to Horde takes 3 seconds.
>> - Top shows 97% CPU from php5-fpm, 3% from imap.
>
> That means that performance problems are probably in php. Do you use an php opcode cache / accelerator? If so, which one?

XCache 2.0.0

>> - When messages are cached, everything gets super fast.
>> - The loading times are probably proportional to the amount of message headers Imp loads for viewing.
>>
>> My questions are:
>> - Is this normal speed?
>
> It depends. How large is a large IMAP folder? How many folders do you have?

I think that Imp caches something a few dozen messages around the currently displayed ones.
So the IMAP folder size is not important, just that there are more than a few:
For example, an inbox with 10 messages is loaded in a second, a view of a folder with 900 messages
takes 6-8 seconds, and also 6-8 seconds for a folder with 20000 messages.

>> - If not, how would I systematically search for the problem?
>> - I tried xhprof, but I can't get the part where Imp refreshes messages captured.
>>
>> My config:
>> - Debian Wheezy, Apache, php5-fpm, Dovecot, imapproxy
>
> Without version numbers, there is no way for us to tell what you're actually using.

Kernel 3.2.0-4-amd64, Apache 2.2.22, PHP 5.4.39-0+deb7u1, Zend 2.4.0, XCache 2.0.0, Dovecot 2.1.7

>> - Auth using Imp using MySQL/PDO connection via sockets
>> - Dovecot using Maildir, PAM disabled, mysql auth only
>> - Horde caching enabled
>
> Which cache backend?
>
>> - everything on one host
>
> If everything is on the same host, imapproxy is redundant an may even hurt performance if you have a modern IMAP server like Dovecot.

Ok, disconnected and purged it, no visible difference.

>> - standard rented server
>
> I wonder what the specifications of a 'standard rented server' are. :-)

AMD Opteron 6272, 2 GB RAM, 100 GB SSD - not high end, but not stone-age either, I think

>> - everything up-to-date
>
> What may be up-to-date on Debian Wheezy may still be seriously out-of-date.

I know, but no testing builds for me anymore...