[imp] IMAP sessions not starting correctly

Jens Wahnes wahnes at uni-koeln.de
Fri Nov 27 13:59:59 UTC 2015

Hi,

Am 25.11.2015 um 11:33 schrieb Michael Menge:

> We have seen a similar problem on our servers that might be related:
> We have sporadic cases where user are able to login to horde, but
> are than unable to access there mails in IMP because
> "Mail server denied authentication".

Yes, that's the message we've seen as well (might have gotten lost in
between all the other things I wrote).

 > We use IMP for Horde Authentication,
> and on the Log-files we see one successful login followed by many faild
> logins.  We are pretty sure that the user didn't change password in
> between.

It's LDAP for Horde authentication here, with only a few users that are
not allowed to access the mail server but still should be able to take a
look into their calendar etc.
So most of the time, the Horde password is used in IMP to successfully
authenticate to the IMAP server as well.

 From analyzing the logfiles, there seems to be some correlation between
the IMAP proxy reporting "connection closed prematurely" and a "NO"
reply when trying to login via IMP, but that's another story altogether.
  The problem I was referring to happens before any authentication has
taken place in the IMAP session.

> So we suspected that the password was not stored correct in the session,
> got somehow corrupted or horde is unable to retrieve/decode the correct
> password.
>
> We use horde_hashtable with Redis as session storage. But we had to
> disable session
> tracking because of performance impact, so i was unable to take a closer
> look at the
> problematic session.

We use file based session storage and I made a copy of the session file
when the problem occured, but I don't want to share that information
publicly because, AFAIK, the password is stored within the session.

Jens