[imp] Shift-delete feature request

Simon B simon.buongiorno at gmail.com
Thu Jan 7 15:01:24 UTC 2016

On 7 Jan 2016 15:51, "Michael J Rubinsky" <mrubinsk at horde.org> wrote:

> Quoting Simon B <simon.buongiorno at gmail.com>:

> Hi
>
> The ability to permanently delete emails was, looking through the
archives, last discussed in 2008.  The solution offered was to use virtual
trash and then purge.

> That's not significantly different from going to a physical trash and
deleting emails and doesn't offer any finer control.

> What I'm looking for is either a button/drop-down on the current delete
button that permanently deletes the email similar to the way shift+ delete
works on desktop clients.

> This would allow me to delete emails on the fly whilst still keeping
those in trash I might wish to archive or undelete at a later date.

> Similarly, I'd like to permanently delete mails I've marked as spam.
>
> Is this doable/something we can discuss

>>> UID EXPUNGE.  Part of UIDPLUS extension (which almost every IMAP server
>>
>> implements).
>>>

>>> michael
>>

>> Should I have created an enhancement request on horde.org? :)
>

> An enhancement request for what? Your reply had too much context stripped
to know what you are asking.

> --
> mike

Sorry.  I just replied to the last email.

I've inserted my original request above but in case it gets lost, here it
is again.

> Hi
>
> The ability to permanently delete emails was, looking through the
archives, last discussed in 2008.  The solution offered was to use virtual
trash and then purge.

> That's not significantly different from going to a physical trash and
deleting emails and doesn't offer any finer control.

> What I'm looking for is either a button/drop-down on the current delete
button that permanently deletes the email similar to the way shift+ delete
works on desktop clients.

> This would allow me to delete emails on the fly whilst still keeping
those in trash I might wish to archive or undelete at a later date.

> Similarly, I'd like to permanently delete mails I've marked as spam.
>
> Is this doable/something we can discuss

Jan's reply makes me think it is possible.

Simon