[imp] "horde imp" lock out after x failed login attempts

Michael Martinell michael.martinell at itctel.com
Fri Sep 9 13:08:57 UTC 2016

This is what I see in the logs when I put in the wrong password.
Sep  9 08:03:40 www001 HORDE: [imp] [login] Mail server denied authentication. [pid 14232 on line 730 of "/usr/local/www/sites/horde5.itctel.com/imp/lib/Imap.php"]
Sep  9 08:03:40 www001 HORDE: [horde] FAILED LOGIN for itc_mmartinell to horde (75.102.161.136) [pid 14232 on line 199 of "/usr/local/www/sites/horde5.itctel.com/login.php"]

I can try it with the wrong password as many times as I want, but it never seems to lock it out.  As soon as I put in the correct password, I immediately get logged in.  It does not appear to be locking the account for 5 minutes after 5 failed retries.

In this case I failed to login 10 times, receiving the above message every time.  As soon as I put in the correct password I immediately logged in without error.

Sep  9 08:04:32 www001 HORDE: [imp] Login success for itc_mmartinell (75.102.161.136) to {imap://mail001.internal.itctel.com/} [pid 14223 on line 157 of "/usr/local/www/sites/horde5.itctel.com/imp/lib/Auth.php"]

Michael Martinell
Internet Systems Technician
Interstate Telecommunications Coop., Inc.