[imp] User not authorized for Mail

Dr. Lars Hanke debian at lhanke.de
Wed Feb 8 19:51:54 UTC 2017

I did a fresh install of Horde 5.2.13 on nginx 1.10.2 with PHP 7.0.15
all as shipped with current Debian Testing. Horde runs as a virtual
server in its own PHP pool with its own user. It is configured to use
IMP as authentication backend. IMP uses a remote IMAP server (Dovecot)
for authentication - and as mail store I hope.

Logging in into Horde works nicely with the IMAP credentials. But on the
user's dashboard I see /User ___ is not authorized for Mail
(client.fqdn)/. Clicking on the webmail tab asks for another
authentication, which fails with the very same IMAP credentials.

I followed the FAQ https://wiki.horde.org/FAQ/Admin/Troubleshoot

  * the session counter on /test.php increases
  * I use the default handler, and I see a session file in
    /var/lib/php/sessions
  * The cookie path is '/', which seems correct, and domain is set as
    $_SERVER['SERVER_NAME']. My firefox has two cookies (Horde,
    horde_secret_key) with domain '.server.fqdn'.

I searched for other entries on the web and actually found lots of
reports. Most of them were related to upgrade issues and bugs in ancient
versions. Anyhow, after several hours of reading I couldn't find
anything that resembled my scenario or gave clear information what to check.

Since I'm absolutely new to Horde, I don't even have a clue how it is
expected to work. But I'm puzzled that if IMP is used for succesful
authentication, access to IMP is then denied. But I may simply
misunderstand some core concept.

I chose not to flood the list with config snippets, since I do not know
where to start. But I'll gladly post any helpful information. I'd
appreciate any help to do some structured troubleshooting on my install.

Thanks for your help,

  - lars.