[imp] Trouble with email addresses containing empty domain labels

Jens Wahnes wahnes at uni-koeln.de
Wed Apr 5 18:37:56 UTC 2017

Jens Wahnes wrote:
> Jan Schneider wrote:
>
>> I was able to track this down to Horde_Idna. The error will be catched
>> in Horde_Idna 1.1.0 and displayed smarter in IMP 6.2.18.
>
> I looked into this again today. Even though I have got the new versions
> installed (both Horde_Idna 1.1.0 and IMP 6.2.18), I still seem to get
> the same error, i.e. no warning when sending an email to an address like
> foo at example..com and the mail is actually being sent to "foo" without
> any domain. Are there any other dependencies that I may have missed?

I can see this working on demo.horde.org, i.e. trying to send an email
to "foo at example..com" from demo.horde.org is aborted with an error
message.  Still, this does not happen in our setup.  On our systems, the
email is being sent to the "localpart only" address instead.  Is nobody
else having this problem?

Looking for things that are unique to our setup, I thought that this
might be because we use a "pre_sent" hook to add headers to outgoing
email messages, but even when disabling that hook, the problem persists.
  I don't seem to be getting any hint from the log files neither.  So
I'm running out of clues what part of our configuration might be causing
the trouble.  Maybe someone has got an idea how to debug this further?
Could it be caused by other hooks we've got?

What strikes me though is the fact the error message I get on
demo.horde.org when trying to send an email to "foo at example..com" is
"Invalid e-mail address (foo at example..com)."
According to the code that I see in .../imp/lib/Compose.php around line
1300, this would be the error message that is generated upon a
Horde_Mail_Exception, not upon Horde_Idna_Exception, because in the
latter case, the message would contain a colon.  I thought this whole
problem was related to Horde_Idna?  To me, the code added in the commit
<https://github.com/horde/horde/commit/36b0073ab1184a4b6f2a2beea3c286ce087c763d>
suggests that catching Horde_Idna_Exception is supposed to fix the
problem?  Or am I on the wrong track completely?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Jens