[imp] Weird behavioh while using multiple identities

leonardo at cefetmg.br leonardo at cefetmg.br
Mon Jun 26 21:28:27 UTC 2017

Quoting Jens Wahnes <wahnes at uni-koeln.de>:

> leonardo at cefetmg.br wrote:
>
>> The combination 'tieto_addr'='it at example.com', 'from_addr'='',
>> 'replyto_addr'='' works well (I mean, one replying messages from
>> 'it at example.com' will get 'it at example.com' in 'To:' field). Any
>> other combination will result in an empty 'To:' field.
>
> I'll have to admit that I have not tried to set any of those
> preferences to values that cannot be set via the graphical
> interface. For instance, tieto_addr should be an array, as far as I
> can tell, because you can have multiple addresses tied to one
> identity.

You are absolutely right: I fixed the code to make 'tieto_addr' an
array but the behavior is still the same.

> When you did you tests, did you keep in mind that there are two
> scenarios to consider? One is a "regular user" replying to an "IT
> department e-mail", the other is "an IT guy" replying to a previous
> "IT department e-mail". I'd suppose that the former is much more
> common than the latter.

We also use to include department address in Cc in order to make the
team informed about some subject. But you are right again: this case
is less common and we can deal with this with some training.

> Another way to use identities in your case would be to put
> "it at example.com" as the "From" address for IT guys and also add
> "it at example.com" to the "Bcc" list. Then, when one IT guy replies to
> another IT guy's message, it would automatically be sent to
> "it at example.com" despite the "To" field being empty.

Well that did not work here... Even if I add 'it at example.com' to Bcc
when writing to Jane who is also member of IT team, the 'To' field will
still be empty if Jane try to reply by just clicking any button but
'Reply to Sender'

>> What is new for me is that in all the combinations of identity
>> field values (replyto_addr, from_addr, tieto_addr), the following
>> message is shown when one clicks "Send" button when replying to
>> 'it at example.com':
>>
>> "Your identity has been switched to the identity associated with
>> the current recipient address. Click this box to revert to the
>> original identity. The identity will not be checked again during
>> this compose action."
>>
>> I've never seen this message before. If we click the yellow box,
>> the default identity is restored and the rest goes as I just
>> explained. Have I messed things up?
>
> No, you did not mess up. That's the way identities are supposed to
> work. They allow you to use different settings (like signature and
> name, but "From" address as well) from one account. Also, a certain
> identity will be chosen automatically depending on the address the
> original message (the one you're replying to) was sent to. This
> allows for a quite sophisticated mail setup, where one person can
> easily answer many different service addresses without having to
> remember to switch identities manually.

Well, now that I do understand why IMP is acting like that, I think
the case is closed: we will have to teach our users to click 'Reply to
Sender' when replying messages sent using the department e-mail they
belong to.

> Jens

Thank you so much.