[imp] Question Marks and Carriage Returns...

cjdl01 cjdl01 at brokensolstice.com
Fri Jul 7 00:03:08 UTC 2017

Hi.

I'm having a very strange problem in my Imp, and it has been this way
for over a year.  I figured it was just a bug that would get ironed
out... but I'm afraid it is confusing people who receive the emails.

It seems that when we receive an email that is html (or html and text)
from *some* people, the email looks fine, until we hit the "Reply"
button in imp. Then the message suddenly is injected with a bunch of
extra carriage returns and lines with nothing but a question mark on
them.  It quadruples (roughly) the length of the email, and makes it
very difficult to read.  Some people are even afraid that the email
has a virus because it is malformatted (weird, I know... but that's
what some people think!).

Any idea on why this might be happening?  Is there anything I can do?

Thank you.

Here is my system:

Debian Jessie
$ locale
LANG=en_US.UTF-8
LANGUAGE=
LC_CTYPE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_TIME="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_COLLATE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MESSAGES="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_PAPER="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_NAME="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_ADDRESS="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_TELEPHONE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_ALL=

Address Book Address Book (turba) 4.2.19 	SQL DB schema is ready.
	Application is ready.
Calendar Calendar (kronolith) 4.2.21 	SQL DB schema is ready.
	Application is ready.
content 2.0.5 	SQL DB schema is ready.

File Manager File Manager (gollem) 3.0.10 	SQL DB schema is ready.
	Application is ready.
Filters Filters (ingo) 3.2.15 	SQL DB schema is ready.
	Application is ready.
Horde Horde (horde) 5.2.15 		Application is ready.
Mail Mail (imp) 6.2.19 	SQL DB schema is ready.
	Application is ready.
Notes Notes (mnemo) 4.2.13 	SQL DB schema is ready.
	Application is ready.
Tasks Tasks (nag) 4.2.14