[imp] Question Marks and Carriage Returns...

cjdl01 cjdl01 at brokensolstice.com
Thu Jul 13 13:15:30 UTC 2017

Quoting Jens Wahnes <wahnes at uni-koeln.de>:

> cjdl01 wrote:
>> It seems that when we receive an email that is html (or html and
>> text) from *some* people, the email looks fine, until we hit the
>> "Reply" button in imp. Then the message suddenly is injected with a
>> bunch of extra carriage returns and lines with nothing but a
>> question mark on them.  It quadruples (roughly) the length of the
>> email, and makes it very difficult to read.  Some people are even
>> afraid that the email has a virus because it is malformatted
>
> concerning the empty lines, this *might* be emails sent by Outlook
> users that use HTML. Outlook's HTML is known to contain nonsense
> codes that causes lots of blank lines when replying (I think the
> root cause is some sort of empty line or paragraph that is supposed
> to have a line height of zero in Outlook but cannot be converted
> properly into the HTML editor Horde uses).
>
> If this is indeed the problem you are facing, you may want to try
> some code that Joao S Veiga shared on the Horde mailing list some 18
> months ago:
> <https://lists.horde.org/archives/horde/Week-of-Mon-20160104/055263.html>
>
> The question mark thing, however, is not something I have
> encountered before, so I don't know about that.
>

> Jens

Thank you.. perhaps I'll do that.. but the question mark thing is by
far and away the bigger problem. People are telling me that they think
there is a virus in the email because it is malformatted, and emails
are getting tossed without being read.

Also, it is a real pain to read emails -- especially as they build up
in threads.  We could live with the extra lines, but the question mark
thing... that has to go.  I'm sure it is probably a UTF thing... but I
just don't know how to address it...

This is what it looks like (except it is html formatted):
Please find below the standard information that we will need to
analyze your financial situation:

?

????????? Most recent pay stubs for the last 30 days

????????? All W-2s for the last two years

????????? (2) Most recent bank / financial account statements
(checking/savings/retirement/etc...) All pages MUST be included.

????????? Last two years of Federal Tax Returns (all schedules
required ? Michigan returns not needed)

????????? Signed Borrowers Authorization form (attached to this email
as pdf file)

In the original email, there were no question marks, and they were
single-spaced.  Looking through the email headers, it doesn't even
look like it was authored in Outlook (like I expected it to be).
Hitting "Reply" is what creates the mal-formatting.

Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this?

Thank you.