[imp] New IMAP server, troubleshooting slow IMP performance

Simon Wilson simon at simonandkate.net
Wed Jul 26 09:02:14 UTC 2017

----- Message from Christian Schoepplein <c.schoepplein at musin.de> ---------
    Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2017 09:39:51 +0200
    From: Christian Schoepplein <c.schoepplein at musin.de>
Subject: Re: [imp] New IMAP server, troubleshooting slow IMP performance
      To: imp at lists.horde.org

> Hi Simon,
>
> On Wed, Jul 26, 2017 at 12:07:26PM +1000, Simon Wilson wrote:
>> I've just moved over to a new IMAP server on my local network,
>> migrating IMAP
>> from a CentOS 5 to a CentOS 7 server in the process. Horde/apache are on a
>> separate server on the same network as both the old and new IMAP servers.
>>
>> I'm trying to troubleshoot laggy performance in Imp since the move.
>>
>> For example, refreshing the mail list in Inbox and deleting an email each
>> take 3 to 4 seconds before the Refresh circle stops spinning and the list is
>> updated. This is longer than it was before (1 to 2 seconds typically). It
>> just means that overall Imp feels very slow.
>
> Just a few ideas:
>
> - Is your imap server respongding slow if you connect with another mail
>   client, for example Thunderbird?

No - feels very snappy from Mailbird.

> - Are other php scripts on your webserver where imp is running also
>   reacting slow?

No. WordPress, which is hosted on the same server as Horde, is
performing as normal. I also have a custom PHP app running on that
box, and it's lightning fast. The Horde server is not highly loaded,
CPU usage avg < 5%.

> - Are the cache settings for horde and imp the same as they were in the
>   old setup?

I've not changed anything on the Horde server except pointing Imp and
Ingo backends.local.php to the new IMAP server address. I also
rebooted it.

> - Are the network settings, especialy routing and DNS, on the new
>   webserver really OK?

The web server has not changed at all, Horde and httpd are unchanged
(apart from the changed config to point to the new IMAP server), only
IMAP has moved. The server IMAP has moved to is running well - again
very low CPU, 4GB RAM. It runs postfix, cyrus-imapd, associated mail
filters, and nothing else. It's not a high traffic mail server.

It's only Imp that appears sluggish when pointing at the new IMAP
server, yet the transactions appear to be fast from the IMAP IMP debug
log. Maybe I'm imagining it... but my seat of the pants dyno tells me
it's slower... :)

Thanks

Simon.

----- End message from Christian Schoepplein <c.schoepplein at musin.de> -----