[imp] Horde webmail, FreeBSD, Imap or Smtp server outgoing authentication error

Michael J Rubinsky mrubinsk at horde.org
Mon Feb 26 14:55:14 UTC 2018

Quoting David Mehler <dave.mehler at gmail.com>:

> Hello,
>
>  I've got a new horde webmail install going on a FreeBSD 11.1 jail.
>  I've got Dovecot set up so that it appends a domain name if one is not
>  given, so that user and user at example.com can both log in. The Dovecot
> server handles imap authentication as well as smtp authentication from
> postfix. Dovecot in turn gets its authentication via a MySQL database.
>
>  When I logged in with horde webmail I used for the first attempt
>  username with no @example.com suffix. I logged in ok, but couldn't
>  send an email, gave me a weird error no address associated with host.
>  I logged out, logged back in using user at example.com the full address,
>  and this time the message sending went through.

Just because you told Dovecot (your IMAP server) to append the domain,
doesn't mean that Postfix will know about it. You need to do one of
the following: (A) configure Horde to automatically append the domain,
(B) Configure a proper From address in the user's identity, or
possibly (C) configure Postfix to append a domain.

As an aside, allowing both user and user at example.com to login can lead
to unexpected problems related to things like the preference system is
you are not careful and use an appropriate username hook.