[imp] Update - certain emails blocking ActiveSync on iPhones

Michael J Rubinsky mrubinsk at horde.org
Tue Oct 12 19:54:32 UTC 2021

Quoting Sebastian Arcus <s.arcus at open-t.co.uk>:

> Further to my thread from a few weeks ago, this has started
> happening on a second iPhone at the same site. Emails on this iPhone
> have stopped syncing completely 4 days ago.
>
> This time, after the hints from Michael J Rubinsky, I've taken a
> closer look at the inbox of the affected account on a computer, and
> the email immediately after the last message which has synced
> successfully on the phone has the following subject line:
>
> <<PR:63364>><<IR>> Site Inspection Report, Marshalswick, St Albans
>
> There were 7 emails with this subject line - part of a thread. After
> moving them away from the inbox to another folder, the sync resumed
> instantly on the iPhone.
>
> Is it possible that some characters in the subject line above trip
> Horde, or the ActiveSync protocol somewhere? If I reconfigure the
> iPhone to use imap, it syncs all messages of any type, without
> complaints - so the issue seems to be somewhere between ActiveSync,
> Horde and the Mail app on the phone.

It could be anything to do with those emails, could be some memory
limit being hit...could be lots of things. Unfortunately debugging EAS
stuff is tough. I really can't look more into it without either a FULL
activesync log - showing all the data, or copies of the emails so I
can try to replicate the issue locally.  There are tons of things that
can trip up activesync clients and we try to catch most of them
(things like email headers with the wrong charset etc..).  Also, what
version of PHP are you using?

> Last time when this happened I also tried the Outlook app using
> ActiveSync / Exchange on the iPhone - and that was even worse. It
> refused to download any email. It kept on saying "There is no email
> here" when checking the inbox.
>
> I thought maybe the above sheds a bit more light on this issue.
> Please let me know if any further details are needed. I can collect
> some debug logs, or forward the troublesome email in full if that
> helps.

Indeed, a copy of the email as well as a full log would be very
helpful. You can forward them directly to my email address. I probably
won't have time to look at them for another week or so though...