[imp] Update - certain emails blocking ActiveSync on iPhones

Michael J Rubinsky mrubinsk at horde.org
Tue Oct 12 23:59:22 UTC 2021

Quoting Sebastian Arcus <s.arcus at open-t.co.uk>:

> On 12/10/2021 20:54, Michael J Rubinsky wrote:
>>
>> Quoting Sebastian Arcus <s.arcus at open-t.co.uk>:
>>
>>> Further to my thread from a few weeks ago, this has started
>>> happening on a second iPhone at the same site. Emails on this
>>> iPhone have stopped syncing completely 4 days ago.
>>>
>>> This time, after the hints from Michael J Rubinsky, I've taken a
>>> closer look at the inbox of the affected account on a computer,
>>> and the email immediately after the last message which has synced
>>> successfully on the phone has the following subject line:
>>>
>>> <<PR:63364>><<IR>> Site Inspection Report, Marshalswick, St Albans
>>>
>>> There were 7 emails with this subject line - part of a thread.
>>> After moving them away from the inbox to another folder, the sync
>>> resumed instantly on the iPhone.
>>>
>>> Is it possible that some characters in the subject line above trip
>>> Horde, or the ActiveSync protocol somewhere? If I reconfigure the
>>> iPhone to use imap, it syncs all messages of any type, without
>>> complaints - so the issue seems to be somewhere between
>>> ActiveSync, Horde and the Mail app on the phone.
>>
>> It could be anything to do with those emails, could be some memory
>> limit being hit...could be lots of things. Unfortunately debugging
>> EAS stuff is tough. I really can't look more into it without either
>> a FULL activesync log - showing all the data, or copies of the
>> emails so I can try to replicate the issue locally.  There are tons
>> of things that can trip up activesync clients and we try to catch
>> most of them (things like email headers with the wrong charset
>> etc..).  Also, what version of PHP are you using?
>
> I have just sent you one of the emails suspected to cause the
> ActiveSync issue.
>
> For the log - do I turn on ActiveSync logging per device - and send
> you the log for this particular iPhone - or do you want a log
> containing all the devices talking to the server?

Use per device logging and I only need that one device's log during
the time it issued a sync and retrieved the results that are failing.
If your version of horde has the option to enable "detailed" instead
of "protocol" logging for the activesync log, please enable that too
(I can't remember which version I introduced that in :)

--
mike
The Horde Project