[ingo] Vacation processing

Brent J. Nordquist bjn at horde.org
Sat Apr 19 07:16:47 PDT 2003

On Sat, 19 Apr 2003, Mike Cochrane <mike at graftonhall.co.nz> wrote:

> What exactly is the whitelist going to do? I'm a little confused as to
> it's purpose.

It's the opposite of blacklist -- a list of email addresses such that
email from them is to be left in the INBOX even if other rules (spam,
blacklist, rules, etc.) would otherwise send it somewhere else.  Spam
filtering suffers from false-positives and the "whitelist" is the typical
way for users to say "this is a legitimate mailing list (or whatever) --
don't block it".

(Both blacklist and whitelist are obviously something that can be done
with rules too, but the benefit is simplicity.  IMP and Sam already have
hooks for blacklist/whitelist.)

> I might start looking at the 5th one on your list. Did you have any
> specific thoughts on it?

Michael got us started yesterday by abstracting out the interface.  See
the email I sent yesterday about "isBlocked" which I think should be
changed.  Otherwise, no specific thoughts; the goal is to be able to use
an SQL table (rather than the preferences system) to store the actual
blacklist, whitelist, rules, etc.  And of course other storage drivers
would be possible too; but SQL is the one I'm personally interested in.

--
Brent J. Nordquist <bjn at horde.org> N0BJN
Other contact information: http://www.nordist.net/contact.html