[ingo] small bug?

Eric Rostetter eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu
Tue Aug 19 14:59:23 PDT 2003

I've been happily using ingo for a while with no problems.  In fact, I really
like it a lot.  Great job!  BTW I'm using the imap driver.

Today, as you probably know, a new virus hit.  Nothing new here.  My mail server
filters them out and sends them to me rather than delivering them to the end
user.  My Ingo rule sees them in my inbox and moves them to a virus folder for
me.  Nothing new so far.  All has worked fine before today.

However, the volume today is much greater than previous virus/worms.  And
I've found what appears to be a slight bug in the way it filters on mailbox
updates in IMP.  Reproduced as follows:

* Go into inbox (mailbox view).
* Check the checkboxes by all the mail I want to delete.
* Click delete link.
* Ingo filter runs, but the boxes I checked for deletion don't get deleted.
* Mailbox is refreshed, messages to be deleted are still there, Ingo filters
  executed successfully.

It appears there is a race condition (?) between the Ingo filters on refresh
and the javascript checkboxes?  I'm not sure, but maybe Ingo's interaction
is somehow clearing the checkboxes before the action is run?  No idea really...

This is no real big deal, but it seems to be a real condition that I can
reproduce by having an Ingo rule that runs on each refresh, and trying to
use the checkboxes for some function.

No time to debug, but if someone else has the time please see if you can
reproduce it.

Thanks!

BTW: have received 2578 sobig.f emails in the last 6 hours...  This thing
may set a new record for fastest spreading virus if it can keep up the pace.

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics

Why get even? Get odd!