[ingo] sieve whitelist behavior..

Jeff Warnica jeffw at chebucto.ns.ca
Tue Sep 21 16:15:56 PDT 2004

On Tue, 2004-21-09 at 16:40 -0400, Liam Hoekenga wrote:
> > I wish it was working this way. But here, whitelisted messages get delivered
> > to the INBOX and no further rules get applied. I think it would make more
> > sense if it worked like you described, ie. that other filter rules still
> > get applied on whitelisted messages.
>
> I guess I don't understand the Sieve syntax... I was assuming that it would have
> to say "keep; stop;" to prevent it from falling thru to later rule checks.  Is
> that not the case?

Id guess, for whatever reason, Jan's script is slightly different then
yours. His is doing what you want, and yours is doing what he wants. I'm
not sure of the syntax off the top of my head, but what you say there
sounds true. What Jan seems to want is that after passing the whitelist,
the message would then get further processed, possibly ending up in,
say, as mailing list folder.

That said, now that I think about it, I'm not sure if the whole
whitelist logic, in general, makes much sense. I don't use whitelists,
but for a test, I generated one just now. The sieve it produces is:

# Whitelisted Addresses
if address :all :comparator "i;ascii-casemap" :is ["From", "Sender",
"Resent-From"] ["me at here.com", "you at there.com", "him at thirdplace.com"]  {
    keep;
}

But nothing says to reject things that aren't whitelisted! ISTM that
rule does nothing. Things that it matches, it keeps, things that it
doesnt match, it ignores. And it doesn't influence any later (reject)
rules.

I think what should happen is that for every rule that has a reject
action, it should become an "allof($test-that-triggers-reject, not
$whitelisttest)"

But, my understanding of what is supposed to happen here may be
completely off the wall.