[ingo] backslashed addresses

alex@milivojevic.org alex at milivojevic.org
Tue Jul 12 10:09:48 PDT 2005

Not sure if this is bug in Ingo or maybe not possible to implement in Sieve.
Anyhow, here's the problem.

If address starts with "\" (for example "\alex at milivojevic.org"), Sendmail will
not perform alias expansion on it.  Rather usefull feature.  If I attempt to
forward email to such "backslashed" address, timsieved barks on the script that
Ingo created ;-)

Looking at the generated script source, the forward part looks like this
(additional "\" added by Ingo):

  6: if true {
  7:     redirect "\\alex at milivojevic.org";
  8:     keep;
  9: }

When attempting to active the script, Ingo displays an error (probably as
returned by timsieved):

There was an error activating the script. The driver said: {95}script errors:
line 7: address '\alex at milivojevic.org': parse error, unexpected $undefined., e

Seems like "\" has a special meaning in Sieve.  I don't know if it can be
escaped and if possible, what would be the correct way to escape it.  The way
Ingo is doing it right now (pacing string in double quotes *and* escaping it
with additional backslash at the same time) doesn't work for sure.