[ingo] * $^To:.* in Vacation Procmail Script

Norbert Kottmann norbert.kottmann at id.unibe.ch
Wed Jan 11 06:21:19 PST 2006

Hi

I am wondering why the procmail script of the vacation filter uses
the rule:

* $^To:.*address at domain.tld

instead of:

* $^To: address at domain.tld

We had some problems with users which have two e-mail addresses with
the same ending:

i.e. "firstname.lastname at domain.tld" and "lastname at domain.tld"

The users activated their vacation rule with both adresses (as it
should be) and ingo writes two procmail rules for each e-mail address.

The result is, that e-mails to the "firstname.lastname at domain.tld"
address are answered with two vacation messages because both rules "*
$^To:.*lastname at domain.tld" and "*
$^To:.*firstname.lastname at domain.tld" are matching.

This problem does no more appear if we use a modified version of the
procmail.php, which does not write the regex:

$this->_action[] = '  * $^To: ' . $address;

Why is regular expression ".*" used? Is there a good reason for it?

Thanks for a tip,

Norbert
--
University of Bern