[ingo] "newline" in vacation message form procmail shows as \r\n

Markus Krause krause at biochem.mpg.de
Thu Apr 5 10:40:04 UTC 2007

Hi List!

i am using ingo/procmail for setting vacation messages.
this actually works fine except if a user enters text which contains
line breaks (carriage return, newline ...(?)) e.g. to seperate the
complimentary close from the text or additional information. procmail
the has each linebreak translated into "\r\n", example:

----- entered into ingo form:
I am currently on vacation.
As soon as i return i will answer your mail personally.

With best regards
    M. Krause
-----

this leads to the following in the procmail script:
----- .procmailrc
echo "I am currently on vacation.\\r\\nAs soon as i return i will
answer your mail personally.\\r\\n\\r\\nWith best regards\\r\\n   M.
Krause" \
  23: #       ) | $SENDMAIL -oi -t
-----

which is then display (e.g. in thunderbird) as one line:
-----
I am currently on vacation.\\r\\nAs soon as i return i will answer
your mail personally.\\r\\n\\r\\nWith best regards\\r\\n   M. Krause
-----

is this the intended behaviour or am i doing something wrong?

thanks in advance for any hints!

regards
    markus

| Markus Krause, Mogli-Soft                                       |
| Support for Mac OS X, Webmail/Horde, LDAP, RADIUS, MySQL        |
| by order of the                                                 |
|    Computing Center of the Max-Planck-Institute of Biochemistry |
| E-Mail: krause at biochem.mpg.de  |  Tel.: 089 - 89 40 85 99       |
|         markus.krause at mac.com  |  Fax.: 089 - 89 40 85 98       |
|  Skype: markus.krause          | iChat: markus.krause at mac.com   |

      This message was sent using https://webmail2.biochem.mpg.de