[ingo] User authentication/imapd namespaces was Re: Normal 'filesystem' backend for ingo/procmail?

Allen Landsidel allen at 1001islington.com
Wed Feb 27 00:38:01 UTC 2008

> Why don't you keep Horde users authenticating against IMAP or IMP?
> This way you don't have to care about that, because IMAP
> authentication is independent from how the passwords are stored, as
> long as the IMAP server understands those.
>
> Beside that, if you have reasons to authenticate directly against the
>  SQL server, Horde supports all common hashes, so this should work
> too.

Well primarily I was figuring if I used Horde, which doesn't seem to be
'supported' or make any sense, meaning horde itself provides no native
authentication backend, that there would be more freedom to the Horde
apps.

I was hoping that if Horde was handling all the authentication itself,
with it's tight integration with the modules, it would be easier
administratively to create things like a system-wide Turba address book
that is automatically kept up to date when I add/remove users, and
things like that.

Free/busy URLs are another example; if Horde was managing the user
database, then I'd imagine it wouldn't be too difficult for Kronolith
(if it is installed) to add each users free/busy URL to their global
address book entry.

I hope I've at least explained what I'm trying to accomplish clearly,
if it's possible or not is entirely something else.  I'm "the sysadmin"
where I work, but I'm not the only guy in the IT department, and while
they're open to replace Exchange I have to find a suitable replacement.

They're going to come after me with pitchforks if I tell them "Well
first you use postfixadmin to add users and that's where users change
their passwords.  Then each user needs to go into Turba to set this
administration-owned shared address book as their primary address book.
  After that, make sure to add the new user to the address book, and
don't forget to look up their free/busy URL and add that as well.  See,
this is almost as easy as clicking 'new user' in active directory!"

>> To me, the default should be to show all the mailboxes as
>> sub-folders of INBOX.  First, physically, that's how they are
>> stored.  In Maildir format, Inbox is the '.' directory, and all
>> directories/folders created from that point must by definition be
>> under/within Inbox.  You cannot actually create a folder that is at
>> the same level as Inbox, since Inbox is the top level maildir.
>
> As you already noticed, this is how Courier handles it technically.
> Users shouldn't have to care which IMAP server is used under the
> hood,  and how it stores folders internally. Thus IMP provides a
> consistent  interface for all IMAP servers with any folders on the
> same level as  INBOX.

I understand, but it's not just how Courier handles it.  It's also how
Cyrus handles it, and even Dovecot, which I just replaced courier with.
  The Inbox is always the top-level Maildir, and all the folders are
contained below it (physically on disk).

Personally I like the special folders being at the same logical level
as the Inbox.

However, this doesn't negate the "bug" that is apparently in Courier
only (maybe Cyrus, don't care, haven't looked) but not in Dovecot -- If
you do NOT do the "unsupported hack" to change the namespace/folders
options in the new IMP, you cannot create folders under the Inbox.

That functionality people definitely want, and the IMP detection of
namespaces has broken this in Courier.  It works fine in Dovecot.

I just wanted to bring to attention the fact that Cyrus isn't the only
IMAP server that was 'broken' by the change to autodetection, and that
overriding while perhaps distasteful to some, shouldn't be an hidden
unsupported option.