[ingo] Rules don't have mail prefix

Shane Williams broot at ischool.utexas.edu
Mon Nov 30 20:53:50 UTC 2009

Running Horde 3.3.4, IMP 4.3.4, Ingo 1.2.2 and Dovecot 1.0.7

Other background:  Due to historical issues with mail folders (that,
no surprise, have to do with UW-IMAP), we've created several
namespaces in dovecot.  The default namespace, with no prefix, points
to "$HOME/mail".  Then there are additional hidden namespaces, one of
which, to provide backward compatibility in certain situations uses
the prefix "mail/" and also points to "$HOME/mail".  So, right now,
when IMP does it's NAMESPACE command, it gets back:
* NAMESPACE (("" "/")) NIL NIL

Problem description
Ingo is set to use the IMP folder api, which appears to work right.
That is, when I go to set up a new rule, and choose "Deliver to
folder..." as the "Do this:" action, up pops a list of target folders
(which live in $HOME/mail).

But then, when I select a folder (cron for instance), and save the
rule, the resulting procmail script shows the destination as only
"cron" when it ought to say "mail/cron".

Interestingly, if I specify a namespace in my IMP servers.php with:
'namespace' => array('mail/')
when I go through ingo action to "Deliver to folder" the drop-down now
shows the list of folders from the default, and then, in the middle
where the "m"s are, there's a greyed out line that says "mail" and all
the folders listed again, but slightly indented.  If I chose the
indented "cron", ingo now points the procmail action toward
"mail/cron", as desired.

So I see two possible solutions, but I want to know if there's
something I might be missing.

Option 1:
the straightforward fix would seem to be something like the following
in my backends.php:
'scriptparams' => array(
         // Use if you need to set up specific environment variables.
         'variables' => array(
             'DEFAULT' => '$HOME/mail'
 		      )
 	    )
This adds the "DEFAULT=$HOME/mail" line into procmail, but since many
people have rules that are older than our horde/imp upgrade which
introduced the IMP folderapi, they're rules still apearr with the mail
prefix on them.  So, unless you go back and re-save each rule
individually, you now have rules that will try to put things in $HOME/mail/mail/foldername.

Option 2:
Change our dovecot configuration so that the default, non-hidden
namespace has the "mail/" prefix, and make the namespace with no name
hidden instead.  I suspect this is most likely to fix the ingo rule
problems without causing other ingo rules to be broken, but I'm not
sure what it's going to do to IMP (or other mail clients for that
matter).

If there's a way to turn off the IMP folder api and specify a
namespace, maybe that would work?  I know it's not ideal, but if I
only have one non-hidden namespace, it doesn't seem like there's any
practical difference.

Other suggestions?

--
Shane Williams
Coordinator of Information Technology & System Administrator