[jonah] Funky weather stations

Alan W. Rateliff, II lists at rateliff.net
Sat Mar 15 12:52:55 PST 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Rick Emery" <rick at emery.homelinux.net>
To: <jonah at lists.horde.org>
Sent: Saturday, March 15, 2003 10:40 AM
Subject: Re: [jonah] Funky weather stations

> I'm getting the same thing using CVS HEAD for Sanford, FL. It appears that
they
> just changed the method of accessing the information on their site.
>
> >From the site (http://weather.interceptvector.com):
>
> "NEW AS OF 03/13/2003 (Database problems)

> Basically, the URL used to access the site gets passed an ID now, instead
of the
> state and city. I have the xml files with the new URLs, but my knowledge
and
> experience haven't allowed me to figure out an easy way to fix this.

That's definitely helpful.  Thanks for the heads-up.

> Ideas I've had so far include:
>
> 1. Somehow try to update each record in the jonah_weatherstations table to
> replace the URLs (would require some kind of scripting).

> 2. Drop the table, recreate it, and import the new data. This is
plausible, if I
> can figure out an easy way to convert the XML file to a tab delimited file
or
> other that will easily import (I use MySQL). This is how the original data
got
> there (mysqlimport a tab delimited file).

Both viable options.  I'd assume that the .tsv files on the FTP site might
be updated at some point, at which time a quick DROP and mysqlimport would
be the way to go.

> I'm open to suggestions, and am short on free time, so if anybody out
there
> knows of a way to accomplish this, have at it!

Same here, which is why I asked on the list.  I searched the archives and
saw problems with the server, but nothing specifically mentioned about the
change in access format.  I also haven't really dug into Jonah just yet to
determine its internal mechanics.  I've been burried in IMP and reading up
on the Horde API so I can develop my own module.

> Here are the URLs for the locations you mentioned:

Thanks for the info.
--
       Alan W. Rateliff, II        :       RATELIFF.NET
 Independent Technology Consultant :    alan2 at rateliff.net
      (Office) 850/350-0260        :  (Mobile) 850/559-0100