[jonah] Adding channels fails in Jonah CVS HEAD

Chuck Hagenbuch chuck at horde.org
Wed Nov 19 11:59:39 PST 2003

Quoting Joe Jenkins <joe at nerdnet.com>:

> Adding channels in the News Admin fails with the error:
>
>   There was an error saving the channel. DB Error: already exists
>
> Browsing the code for this function (below) I noticed it attempts to fetch
> the next ID available in the table 'jonah_channels' ...  This is not working
> on my installation, I added some debugging code to echo the value of
> $info['channel_id'] and what it is returning is not the next available ID in
> that table.  I browse my table and it should be '125' however this function
> is returning 7,8,9 etc (it increments everytime I try to add a news channel,
> even if the insert fails, dont ask me why!)  Since channels exist at ID the
> numbers returned by $this->_db->nextId('jonah_channels'); obviously it cant
> insert a new record there and fails... Any idea what could be breaking
> $this->_db->nextId('jonah_channels'); ?  I am using a MySQL db and the rest
> of my CVS HEAD Horde install seems to be working fine...

Just update the sequence table to have the correct next ID in it. This will
happen with the external_channels.sql file, since that doesn't go through the
pear sequences.

> ps:  Why isnt this table just set to auto_increment the ID?  Seems it would
> be easier to work with, and the code that checks if a channel exists could
> actually check to see if the XML/RSS url already exists on another channel,
> thus eliminating channel duplicates... just a thought :)

Because auto_increment is a completely non-portable, MySQL specific concept.

-chuck

--
Charles Hagenbuch, <chuck at horde.org>
"I'm really... I'm not too fascinated by green food." - Average Joe