[kronolith] MCAL and Solaris problem

Brandon Knitter knitterb@blandsite.org
Tue, 26 Mar 2002 00:33:57 -0800

I did some poking around and found an error in my config.log as such:

== BEGIN LOG ==
configure:32338: checking size of char
configure:32357: gcc -o conftest -g -O2  -D_POSIX_PTHREAD_SEMANTICS
-DSOLARIS2=280 -DMOD_SSL=208105 -DEAPI -DUSE_EXPAT  -R/usr/ucblib -L/usr/ucblib
-R/usr/local/ssl//lib -L/usr/local/ssl//lib
-R/usr/local/lib/gcc-lib/sparc-sun-solaris2.8/3.0.3
-L/usr/local/lib/gcc-lib/sparc-sun-solaris2.8/3.0.3 -R/usr/local/lib
-L/usr/local/lib conftest.c -lmcal -lcrypt -lpam -lintl -lcrypt -lssl -lcrypto
-lresolv -lresolv -lm -ldl -lnsl -lsocket  -lsocket -lgcc -lcrypt 1>&5
Undefined           first referenced
 symbol                 in file
cc_searched                         /usr/local/lib/libmcal.so
cc_vlog                             /usr/local/lib/libmcal.so
cc_login                            /usr/local/lib/libmcal.so
cc_vdlog                            /usr/local/lib/libmcal.so
ld: fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to conftest
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
configure: failed program was:
#line 32346 "configure"
#include "confdefs.h"
#include <stdio.h>
main()
{
  FILE *f=fopen("conftestval", "w");
  if (!f) exit(1);
  fprintf(f, "%d\n", sizeof(char));
  exit(0);
}
== END LOG ==

After some poking around I found that those symbols are UNDEF as per ``nm'', and
further research shows that mcal.h lists them as callbacks.
.../php-4.1.2/ext/mcal/php_mcal.c shows these four functions defined and all,
but why are they attempting to be used in the other places?

This could easily explain my problem, but it seems like this is specifically
related to Solaris, perhaps just version 8.  Why would this not be an issue on
Linux?  What platform is most of Horde developed on?

--
-bk