[kronolith] Holidays

Brandon Knitter knitterb@blandsite.org
Sun, 14 Apr 2002 10:06:30 -0700

Sorry to top post, it's just getting a bit long down there! :)

I was not thinking about a gcal call on every page view, I also wasn't even
thinking of using ANY recurrence.  I was thinking /really/ simple, and lamost
exactly what you did Jan.

When you get Kronolith installed, one option would be to add holidays (gcal type
things) to your calendar, maybe under options.  Once clicked, you would choose
which types, and then a single call to gcal would be made, getting the list of
holidays for, say, 2 years, and that list of events would be added with a
special system defined Keyword, perhaps "Holiday".  To remove the holidays, a
simple sql call could be made against a where clause of the keyword.

The simplicity here of no recurrence and no additional calls to gcal makes the
overhead REALLY light, and also make removal and modification of such events
fairly simple.

That was my design idea with an easy entrance point, as well as a simple
integration.  I was gonna do a test in perl which creates SQL output, since I
don't know php that well.

--
-bk