Fwd: Re: [kronolith] kronolith and oracle..

Chuck Hagenbuch chuck@horde.org
Fri, 26 Apr 2002 14:13:40 -0400

Quoting Brandon Knitter <knitterb@blandsite.org>:

> In the work I was doing at my last company we wrote a transactional
> system which we ended up having to write database independent queries.
> Most things are identical, but a few things like date and numeric number
> storage is different across database systems.  Soas to support multiple
> database vendors, is there any way you guys would be interested in
> writing an abstration layer?  Or is your plan in the case of not finding
> a common ground to just simply say that certain databases are not
> supported.  For the most part it's quite easy to abstract, just a matter
> of making database resource files, typically the largest one being
> a reusable general one, and just overrides for certain queries on
> different dbs.

I think a layer, probably as part of Horde - something like a DB_Type or
DB_Data class? - would be a good thing to have for date storage, etc.

Charles Hagenbuch, <chuck@horde.org>
"A dream which helps you to live your reality with dignity
 and justice is a good dream." - Tariq Ramadan