Alarm Notification/Second Alarm Was: [kronolith] Question About The Alarm

Brandon Knitter knitterb@blandsite.org
Sun, 19 May 2002 21:51:14 -0700

> How does the alarm notify you about an upcoming event? I did a test
> event with a 5 minute alarm but nothing happened. Is it supposed to send
> out an email? Make a ding? Do you have to be inside Horde for it to
> work?

I think there was a thread a few weeks ago about this, and it turns out that
there really is nothing.  I wrote a "hacked" perl script which goes directly to
the DB and get's out the events and figures out what to notify on.  I can try to
translate this to PHP, but I'm fairly rusty on that sort of thing.

If people want the "alarming" type thing, I would probably ask for a couple of
db changes before I did it, I was thinking of an alarm timestamp or boolean
thingy letting you know it was alarmed.  This is because I run a cron job every
5 minutes to look for upcoming alarms in the next 10 mintues.  I specifically
look 10 minutes ahead to compensate for load and such that might cause the cron
job to be slow.  After that, I "mark" the alarm at being notified, that way I
know not to notify again is I cause it in the next 5 minute run.

I would say it's not the mopst efficient thing to do, but it works for me! :)
Incidentally, I email myself the alarm and notification, which Blackebrry's me
(pages me) with the info, that way I'm notified, AND I have all the info with me! :)

Lastly, is there any interest from anyone but me for an additional alarm, it's a
Yahoo Calendar feature that I found cool before cause you could be notified 2
hours before a meeting so you knew to get prepared, and then say another one at
15 minutes before a meeting so you knew to get your butt over there.  Let me
know if that'd be useful for some of you.

Take care,
bk