[kronolith] Shared Calendar Thoughts

Mike Cochrane mike@graftonhall.co.nz
Wed, 7 Aug 2002 15:57:37 +0100

Quoting "Derek J. Balling" <dredd@megacity.org>:

> On Wednesday, August 7, 2002, at 10:42  AM, Mike Cochrane wrote:
>
> > They way I'm looking at it:
> >
> > I have an event that i want 5 independent groups to know about....
> >
> > Shared calendar approach:
> >  I add the event 5 times to 5 different shared calendars so all groups
> > can see
> > it. If a person is subscribed to two of those groups then they will see
> > the
> > event twice, one from each calendar.
>
> Why not add it to a calendar to which all 5 groups have read-access?

So then every time you want to add an event to more than one group you create a
new calendar for them? Event with only 5 groups that's at least 20 different
combinations.

> > Shared event approach:
> >  I add the event once and give the five different groups read access to
> > it.
>
> And every time you add a "common" event, you have to add access rights
> to that event for each group who has access, whereas in a
> shared-calendar environment, you grant the rights to the calendar
> itself, and let all 5 groups have read privileges at creation-time.

I see the UI being, you create an event and have a list of groups that you can
add events to and can tick read or write for each group.

Don't worry... i'm not totally decided either way yet, this one just makes more
sense to _me_.

- Mike :-)

This mail sent from Mike's CVS HEAD install of IMP: http://horde.org/imp/