[kronolith] Re: Categories. Shared or not to share?

Charles Kaucher kaucher at cgki.com
Sun Jan 5 08:10:28 PST 2003

Chuck Hagenbuch wrote:
> Quoting Charles Kaucher <kaucher at cgki.com>:
>
>>I don't think that was intended.  I think was intended that each user
>>should be able to make there own categories and assign their own colors.
>
> Categories are controlled by the owner of the share.
>
> -chuck

Chuck,

Yes and then some.

Once any owner for any calendar makes several categories it prevents
others from assigning/displaying colors to their categories and display
them. The colors and categories seem to be stored by user in the tables
but are not being displayed. See this explanation as well
<http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=kronolith&m=103904111603915&w=4>
<http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=kronolith&m=103903612330533&w=2> and
added at the end of this message.

I see these things need to happen.

1. Categories need to display properly.  They do not.  See the above
reference.

2. Users need to be able to display assigned colors for the categories
they create under options. They cannot once ANY one user has already
created several categories.

3. If a user does not have permission to add events the button/option to
any calendar(as in guest) should not even appear.

4. If a person does not have permission to edit a calendar it should not
appear in the add event list of calendars.

5. If a user other than the owner who has permissions to add events must
see the categories of the owner of the calendar selected and not his own
when on the add event page. That means a person must choose a calendar
when adding an event BEFORE selecting a category.

I am new to horde and I am not familiar with the code enough to spot the
places just where to fix this.  Maybe in a few weeks. (I am still trying
to figure out how to get events to display in the right order within the
day in the month view.(It needs to sort events by day and by time
somewhere before displaying.)

Greater issue concerning kronolith shares.

Categories need to be assigned by calendar and not by user/owner.
Categories refer to calendars directly and not to users. The permission
to edit categories is what should be assigned by user or group. If you
make this conceptual change now (assigning categories by calendar and
not user), you will make life easier for permissioning and the add
events scheme.

In short, if they are shared calendars then there are shared categories
that need to be permissioned as well.

Note: You should also consider implementing calendar groups where
several calendars can be grouped and assigned together to users. Also
categories could be assigned to calendar groups. Calendar groups must
then also be owned by a user.

CGK

ist:     kronolith