[kronolith] performance hit caused by dynamic javascript?

Tom Cooper tcooper at quarterend.com
Tue Jan 14 16:19:21 PST 2003

Server Env:  Apache/1.3.23 (Unix)  (Red-Hat/Linux) PHP/4.2.3
    K2-500 w/ 256megs
Browsers tested: IE 5.0, Netscape 7.0 on Win2000
Kronolith version: "head" as of End of November

I found that the javascript included with the url:
/horde/javascript.php?file=goto.inc&app=kronolith
was being requested each time a kronolith page is served from apache.

Initially, page loading times from my server were 3.7 to 4.0 seconds.
I am the only user on a lan. No other server load.
I created a static javascript file and changed the javascript link in
menu.inc to: ./templates/javascript/goto.js.

With the static js file, kronolth pages load < 2.5 seconds, an
improvement of over a  second.  In this case the browser caches the js
file locally.

It looks like the dynamic css file is also being server on each page view.

Is this behavior unique to my environment, or does dynamically
generating the javascript and css really cause browsers to request the
files on each page view, rather then caching them?

I had originally thought my 4 second page loading times were caused by a
bottle neck in database or web server, but I believe now that it is
simply serving up extra pages.

--Tom