[kronolith] kronolith - performance and memory usage

Oliver Kuhl okuhl at netcologne.de
Wed Mar 5 09:48:00 PST 2003

Hi Didi,

> maybe this is not related to Olivers question, but anyway...
> I already wrote once to the list that kronolith (using the sql driver with a
> mysql back end) is loading very slow, but I didn't include any data.
>
> Now that I turned on DEBUG in Horde's logging I saw that by just clicking at
> the
> Calendar icon to open the calendar kronolith performs 492 sql queries!!
Puh, I actually tested it and you are right. I think that this may be exactly
the data I found in my object - a list of the once logged in users.

> 488 of them are of the following type:
>
> Mar 04 22:58:54 HORDE [debug] [kronolith] SQL Query by
> Category_sql::getCategoryData(): SELECT category_data FROM horde_categories
> WHERE category_id = 491 [on line 502 of
> "/usr/local/apache/htdocs/horde/lib/Category/sql.php"]
>
> (488 is also the number of horde_categories)
I have 26 queries of this type and this is the number of records found in
horde_categories, but grouped by category_name.

> This scares me, because if the number of categories raises lets say to 5000,
> kronolith will perform 5000 queries, jut to open the calender.
And the category-count will raise, if only another user logs in.

> Is there anything I may have missed in my config? (CVS HEAD Mar. 1. 03)
>
> horde/config/conf.php
> $conf['category']['driver'] = 'sql';
> // $conf['category']['params'] = array();
>
> horde/kronolith/config/conf.php
> $conf['calendar']['driver'] = 'sql';
> $conf['calendar']['params'] = array_merge($conf['sql'], array('table' =>
> 'kronolith_events'));
That would be interesting for me, too. I would like a configuration-flag to
switch of the shared-calendars functionality. It's really a very nice feature,
but in my setup, I doesn't need it.

Chuck, what do you think? Is there a chance for us to patch that one easily or
will I blow up everything by trying to remove the sharing?

Thanks guys!

Gruss,
   Ollie.