[kronolith] Bidirectional communication with kronolith

Matthew Sackman matthew at sackman.co.uk
Thu Apr 17 00:43:00 PDT 2003

Hi all,

I've searched extensively on this with google and through the archives
and am really stuck so I would like your help.

Without in any way wanting to start up a language war, I have the
following problem: I need to be able to manipulate kronolith's calendars
from perl. I have a largish (2.5k lines) perl application which needs to
be able to (at the very least) add events to the calendars and if at all
possible dynamically query the calendar for events based on certain
criteria.

Rather than the (rather impossible) task of embedding the api.php within
perl and then having to try to fake all of the user authentication and
all the other web environments that would be required to then be able to
interface the lib/api.php, I was instead wondering whether it would be
possible to use kronolith's implementation of iCalendar, specifically
either sending or receiving iTIP messages to/from Kronolith. However,
some additional protocol would need to be defined, in particular
searching for events based on criteria, useful things like that which
arn't covered in the RFCs for iCal et al.

Is this at all possible? I'm no PHP programmer myself, I would just
about be able to write a wrapper that would receive a username, password
and action and convince kronolith to play ball but that's about it.
Where do I need to start looking to actually get iTIP messages out of
kronolith. One thing which is badly lacking from the iCal RFCs is the
listing of events in a calendar, how do I get the iTIP messages out of
kronolith for all events between dates x and y?

I would obviously prefer not to have to interface directly at the
database level and iTIP seems a good system to use (once extended
slightly) but I'm rather stuck as to where to go from here. I simply
can't find any documentation that really helps.

Any help at all would be greatly received. I'd hate to have to resort to
implementing an entire calendar system for my application simply because
I can't interface with kronolith.

With thanks,

Matthew
--