[imp] Re: [kronolith] Kronolith and Outlook plugin/connector

Mark Gimelfarb dawebber at atlas.cz
Wed Jul 9 08:29:28 PDT 2003

Chuck, Dennis and all!
        As I explained Dennis in my e-mail to him, and which he quoted in his message to the list, the connector that I've written lacked the actual transport piece b/w Kronolith and Outlook. The reason for this was because at the time I wrote it, transition from 1.0 to 1.1 was underway, and were there lots of changes going on. I decided to wait till the data transfer API gets a bit more settled, before continuing(in the process I managed to get HORDE and Kronolith working on Windows, which was an achievement in on itself :))
        Given the interest, I'm wiliing to work on the connector and release it under the GPL(or some other "liberal" license). I have already ported my code over to C# from VB, which will make my life so much easier and more enjoyable
        Let me make a statement regarding your comment that "[...] there are *reasons* that free, non-MS tools that work with Exchange are hard to find." First off, I do own Universal MSDN subscription and am a part of a brand spanking new software company. So, legalities aside, I see no reasons why free, non-MS tools "should" be hard to find.
       Now, as to the " [...]that work with Exchange" part. I see a bit of a paradox here. I'm using a Linux box for my mail (IMAP/S) and my calendaring stuff(Kronolith). Yes, my client is MS Outlook of course. Exchange doesn't even come in the picture here. You can use the connector to move the data b/w Kr and Outlook, and maybe later on add Nag, Turba and others in the mix. Exchange is not going to be needed after all.
      The only possible need for Exchange to be in the picture is if you want to transition from Exchange's calendar to Kronolith. In that case, you don't need my connector. It's a one-time deal. You write a DTS package, taking data from MS Exchange Data Store source (there are OLEDB providers for that that come w/ MS Office) and pump it into MySQL (using ODBC) or whatever else you run as a database. Then, you start using Kronolith and my connector. That's a free solution, as all that comes with the stuff that you already own.
If I missed the big picture here, please do let me know.
Regards,
           Mark.
P.S. I'm not a MS fan of any kind, even though it might sound like it. I've been programming on Linux since 1998, and only started doing serious programming on Windoze since 2001. I'm just trying to reason as to what goals my connector is to accomplish, that's all. Plus, the way I look at it, you've got to do what you've got to do, and if you are in MS-shop, then all you got is MS stuff to work with. That's why I'm trying to write a connector in the first place--to bridge the gap.