[kronolith] Extracting all pending calendar events

Richard.Heggs at nottinghamcity.gov.uk Richard.Heggs at nottinghamcity.gov.uk
Wed Dec 31 09:11:42 PST 2003

> Quoting Richard.Heggs at nottinghamcity.gov.uk:
>
> > I'm working on Yet Another Alarm Daemon, largely because I'm trying to
> get a
> > handle on XML-RPC.
>
> Are people really just dead set against helping develop Kronolith's
> eventd? It
> should take care of exactly this kind of thing.

Not really 'dead set against'...  I looked at it, screamed a little, and
decided that Kronolith is a complex and evil beast that is far beyond the
ken of a mere mortal. :)  I might look at it in the future when I feel a
little more confident; right now I don't even know where to start.

Anyway, 'alarm daemon' was a misnomer in my case - I wanted something that
trolled through all upcoming events in all calendars, and summarised them
for their owners, whether the owners were currently logged in or not (a 5am
scheduled job, sort of thing).  As Jan pointed out, to do this with XML-RPC
would be so insecure that 'insecure' would no longer be a suitable
description.

I'll accomplish the task by writing a script that trawls the
kronolith_events table looking for imminent events, and build the summary
emails that way... unless you can think of a simple and more elegant
solution that I've completely overlooked (highly likely)?

Richard

views which are not the views of Nottingham City Council unless specifically
stated. If you have received it in error, please delete it from your system,
do not use, copy or disclose the information in any way nor act in reliance
on it and notify the sender immediately. Please note that Nottingham City
Council monitors e-mails sent or received. Further communication will
signify your consent to this.