[kronolith] Re: freebusyURI trouble

Joonas Hämäläinen joonas.hamalainen at nettitieto.fi
Mon Feb 14 22:26:14 PST 2005

> Ok, but can you explain me what is a freebusy URL (I know free, I know
> busy, but
> a freebusy URL is very mysterious for a French guy ) and how define
> such a thing
> ?

I saw you got already one explanation about what this is, but I give
mine (I didn't find other so clear, at least it wouldn't have helped me :)

freebusyURL is, as name say, URL which contains freebusy information. I
suppose you weren't quite sure what this 'freebusy' is, so let me try to
explain. It is information wether you are free, or are you busy, at a
certain time.

Lets say you have meeting at Monday morning at 10:30 to 12:00. You add
it to your calendar, and mark that you are there at that time. Then
someone, like your co-worker or boss wants to make a meeting at Monday
morning 11:00 and going on from that. He adds attendees in his event
from contacts, and all have freebusyURL defined there. When he adds you,
he sees that you are busy from 10:30 to 12:00 at that day.

So he can change time of meeting so it suits also you, or then he
decides you can arrive late or whatever he wishes then. Point in this
freebusyURL is that you can see if someone is already having something
at specific time or not. If I recall right, freebusyURL supports three
states: free, planned and busy.

It isn't perfect system yet (like you do not know in which event user is
busy, and I find it very confusing) but if development of it keeps
going, it can be really good and valuable part of calendar/contacts.

I hope I didn't bore you, and this explanation gave you insight what
freebusyURL actually is.

-Joonas