[kronolith] Free/Busy Retrieve Error

akulick@backup.corp.eoscene.com akulick at backup.corp.eoscene.com
Thu Jun 30 11:09:33 PDT 2005

I too have resolved my issue, but not for the same reason.  I had
already verified the host was able to reach via a wget to the URL I had
retrieved.

It turns out my particular problem was related to the php.ini, my
particular distro closed it by default as a security measure:

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
; Fopen wrappers ;
;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

; Whether to allow the treatment of URLs (like http:// or ftp://) as
files.
; allow_url_fopen = On
; Closed for security - <robbat2 at gentoo.org>
allow_url_fopen = Off

I figured this out by writing a idiot PHP script:

<?php
   $url="http://domain.com";
   $data=file_get_contents($url);
   echo $data;
?>

Which output the very helpful message that Fopen was disabled for URLs
by config.  A simple search in php.ini resulted the problem being
resolved.

Perhaps a note in the FAQ or perhaps in the INSTALL docs to ensure that
Fopen be enabled would be useful?  Or list it as a recommended prerequisite in the
INSTALL (recommended).  It is by no means required, but Free/Busy breaks
without it.

Thanks to everyone who helped me.