[kronolith] [core] Calendar from Mozilla Thunderbird to Horde Kronolith

Jan Schneider jan at horde.org
Sun Aug 14 10:23:31 PDT 2005

No idea why this isn't being discussed on the Kronolith mailing list.

Zitat von Yuric Hannart <yuric at ontelix.com>:

> Hi Brent,
>
> That is great news about the progress made by OSAF. They are located
> in Mountain View, California which is not too far from my office. I
> actually have plan to hook up with them in the next couple weeks.
>
> The question now is whether it worth the effort to develop the
> connector or not. If Mozilla Thunderbird includes a calendar like
> Outlook and it works with Cosmo, it would behooves us to throw all
> our support behind this development. In my opinion, since we don't
> have a clear indication of the ETA of Cosmos, given that the need for
> end users is there, it might be a good stop to have the connector
> available to advance Horde Kronolith.

Kronolith, or better Horde, will support GroupDAV in the near future
which is much more suitable for calendaring tasks. Maybe I'll extend
the support to CalDAV later. I won't spent a single minute to integrate
legacy systems unless being paid for it.

> By the way, how much work would it be to have email notification in
> Kronolith?

None, because it exists already.

> Hope I can hear from other core members.
>
> Yuric
>
> Brent J. Nordquist wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Aug 11, 2005 at 08:06:39PM -0700, Yuric Hannart wrote:
>>
>>> I understand that other group applications have created something
>>> called the connector to allow access of the Outlook client into the
>>> web calendar. In Horde case, that would be into the Kronolith.
>>>
>>> I would look for your advise on the development of such connector.
>>>

>> This isn't really a response to your question, but it does relate to
>> calendaring and Thunderbird, so I thought I'd throw it out there FWIW.
>>
>> Most of you have probably heard of OSAF (http://www.osafoundation.org/)
>> who are working on Chandler (a new PIM client) and Cosmo (its server).
>> Most of you probably also know how the IETF's process on a standard
>> calendar protocol ground to a halt.
>>
>> OSAF is working on something called CalDAV (calendaring over WebDAV),
>> and they gave a presentation at OSCON 2005 last week; they've gotten
>> it to the point of being able to synchronize and share calendars.
>> Presenting were not only the OSAF developers, but also people from Novell
>> and the Mozilla project, who are working on integrating CalDAV into Hula
>> and Sunbird/Lightning (respectively). (Lightning is the integration of
>> other groupware components into Thunderbird.) There were other *cough*
>> web groupware developers attending, and there seemed to be cautious
>> optimism in the room about the eventual success of CalDAV.
>>
>> Again, I know this doesn't answer your question, Yuric. Just thought
>> I'd toss this "report from the field" out there.
>>

> --
> Yuric A. Hannart
> Ontelix Networks
> (O) 408-506-0847
> (F) 408-516-0800
>
> This message and any attachment are confidential of Ontelix Networks
> (www.ontelix.com) and may be privileged or otherwise protected from
> disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient, please telephone
> 1-866-ONTELIX or email the sender and delete this message and any
> attachment from your system. If you are not the intended recipient
> you must not copy this message or attachment or disclose the contents
> to any other person.

Jan.

http://horde.org/consulting/