[kronolith] reminder without CLI and crontab on the webserver

Jacob Elder jake.horde at trec.us
Sun Oct 23 10:46:03 PDT 2005

The Horde devs probably had a good reason for prohibiting this, but I know how
frustrating it can be trying to get third party web apps working within
limited
virtual hosting environments. Your best bet is to write a stand-alone CGI to
call the PHP CLI script:

reminders.cgi:
#!/bin/sh
echo "Content-Type: text/plain"
echo
/home/you/public_html/horde/kronolith/scripts/reminders.php

You'll want to ensure that only your cron server will be able to call
that CGI.
Set up a .htaccess file to allow only your IP address, or use authentication,
or both.

Quoting etienne <etiennesky at yahoo.com>:

> I do not have access to CLI or crontab on the
> webserver and I would like to have the reminder script
> run every 24 hours.
>
> I would run a cron job from another host, and acces an
> html page that would do start the reminder scheduler
> (in kronolith/lib/Scheduler/kronolith.php) on the
> webserver.
>
> Is this possible by modifying the
> kronolith/scripts/reminder.php script?  Because this
> script must be run in CLI mode every minute.
>
> I'm using the current stable versions of Horde and Kronolith.

Jacob Elder