[kronolith] Reminders not conforming to RFC 2822

Otto Stolz Otto.Stolz at uni-konstanz.de
Wed Mar 29 05:35:42 PST 2006

Dear all,

though we are using a Horde 2 + Imp installation,
I personally am newbie w. r. t. Horde installation;
so please be patient if I have overlooked the obvious.

Currently, I am trying to get Kronolith 2.0.6 running.
My environment:
     * Horde: 3.0.9
     * Kronolith: H3 (2.0.6)
     * Turba: H3 (2.0.5)
     * PHP Version: 4.4.2
     * PHP Major Version: 4.4
     * HTTP server: Apache/1.3.34 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.8.25 OpenSSL/0.9.7e PHP/4.4.2
     * MTA: Postfix 2.1.4
     * System: SunOS 5.9

So far, I have not succeeded in delivering comprehensible e-mail reminders.

- When I configure Horde to send mail via the local sendmail binary,
   no reminders are sent, at all. Rather, I get the message:
     sendmail [/opt/postfix/sbin/sendmail] is not a valid file
   or
     sendmail [/usr/lib/sendmail] is not a valid file
   respectively, depending on sendmail_path. (/usr/lib/sendmail
   is a softlink pointing to /opt/postfix/sbin/sendmail.)

- When I configure Horde to send mail via an SMTP server,
   the reminders are sent, but seemingly without any attachment:
   Though the attachment can be spotted in the message source,
   neither Imp 3.2.2 nor Thunderbird 0.6 do display it.
   (Needless to say that the gist of the reminder is told
   in the attachment.)

   The reason: in the message source, the lines are delimited with
   LF (hex 0A) characters, in contrast to RFC 2822, section 2.1
   <http://rfc-ref.org/RFC-TEXTS/2822/chapter2.html#sub1> which says:
> A line [...] is delimited with the two characters carriage-return
> and line-feed; that is, the carriage return (CR) character (ASCII
>  value 13) followed immediately by the line feed (LF) character
> (ASCII value 10).

Now the question is: how can I configure Horde and Kronolith
to issue standard-conforming e-mail, either via the local
sendmail binary, or via an SMTP server?

Thank you in advance for any enlightment you can offer,

Best wishes,
    Otto Stolz