[kronolith] Reminders not conforming to RFC 2822

Otto Stolz Otto.Stolz at uni-konstanz.de
Thu Mar 30 05:12:52 PST 2006

Hello Jan Schneider,

thank you for taking the time to answer my questions.

I had asked:
> When I configure Horde to send mail via the local sendmail binary,
> no reminders are sent, at all. Rather, I get the message:
>    sendmail [/opt/postfix/sbin/sendmail] is not a valid file

You have replied:
> The code doesn't lie, that's what PHP is seeing.

Still, I had not found anything wrong with that file:
it has read, and execute, rights for all users on that system,
and I could not imagine what else the horde/kronolith code may
have checked about that file.

Now, I have tried to manually send mail via that sendmail
command and found that it issues an error message, though
quite a different, easy comprehensible, one:
   sendmail: fatal: open /opt/etc/postfix/main.cf: Permission denied

So, the problem here was a misleading error message.

It would be helpful if the horde/kronolith code would
quote the *original error message*, so the reader is not
mislead to check the wrong file. Should I file a bug
report, or an enhancement suggestion, and if so, against
which component?

My other problem was:
> the reminders are sent, but seemingly without any attachment:
> Though the attachment can be spotted in the message source,
>  neither Imp 3.2.2 nor Thunderbird 0.6 do display it.

On which you have replied:

> There is no attachment to the reminders.

So, "reminder" is probably the wrong term. I am new in the
calender business, you know, and I get most of Kronolith's
messages in German, so I have to guess the proper English
terms.

Fact is that Kronolith sends a message (when I store an event),
that that message is supposed to contain an iCalendar attachment,
and that that attachment is neither displayed by Imp 3.2.2, nor
by Thunderbird 0.6.

I had already found the reason:
> in the message source, the lines are delimited with
> LF (hex 0A) characters, in contrast to RFC 2822, section 2.1
(which specifies CRLF delimiters).

You have answered:
> You could try upgrading to Kronolith 2.1.

I think, I will first try to install Imp 4.0.4 to see, whether
it has the same problem. If so, I will conclude that this is a
horde problem and ask on the appropriate list, otherwise, I will
come back to you.

Thank you, again.

Best wishes,
    Otto Stolz