[kronolith] Large User Base question

Steve Devine sd at msu.edu
Wed Feb 27 19:20:17 UTC 2008

Quoting Andrew Morgan <morgan at orst.edu>:

> On Tue, 26 Feb 2008, Steve Devine wrote:
>
>> This brings up another question. I tried memcached but was unable to get
>> it to work and had to fall back on storing sessions in mysql.
>> Is there a how to on implementing memcached in Horde somewhere? I did
>> some searching but no luck so far.
>
> It seemed pretty easy for me.  Here is the relevant chunk from
> horde/config/conf.php:
>
> # memcache
> $conf['sessionhandler']['params']['hostspec'] =
> array('your.memcache.server');
> $conf['sessionhandler']['params']['port'] = array('11211');
> $conf['sessionhandler']['params']['persistent'] = true;
> $conf['sessionhandler']['params']['compression'] = true;
> $conf['sessionhandler']['params']['lock_dir'] = '/tmp';
> $conf['sessionhandler']['type'] = 'memcache';
>
> The lock directory will fill up with memcache lock files.  I wrote a
> script to clean these up, which we run once a day.  I have attached
> it to this message.
>
> Don't forget that memcache has no security, so you'll need to limit
> which IP addresses can connect to the memcache server using some
> sort of firewall.
>
> 	Andy

Thanks for the reply and the script
Turns out I didn't have memcache.so as a php extension (RTFM) .. I
installed that so now its not failing and I have the entry as you have
shown above .. but I do not think its working.
What should I see in  /tmp on my memcache server? I think it would be
files like "lock.hostname.blah.blah" They would be owned by the memcache
process wouldn't they?
I do see files in /tmp like cache_09ad7829152189e6639.. but I think
these are php files since they are owned by wwwrun.
I have looked and so not see a command line method to query the memcache
server to see what its doing.
Any tips Anyone? Thanks for your help.
/sd

Steve Devine
Email & Storage
Academic Computing & Network Services
Michigan State University

313 Computer Center
East Lansing, MI 48824-1042
1-517-432-7327

Baseball is ninety percent mental; the other half is physical.
- Yogi Berra