[kronolith] webdav ics performance issues

Elliot Anders elliot at marlboro.edu
Tue Oct 14 17:28:22 UTC 2008

We're getting tons of complaints about the performance of Sunbird and
the webdav ics provider. We realize that this is somewhat related to
Sunbird's slowness of calendar display and it's inability to reload
remote calendars in the background, but have also seen horde/kronolith
respond extremely slowly with the requested file.

I'm hoping to do some investigation as to where the slowness is (RAM
on the machine doesn't seem to be and issue, CPU usage is minimal
throughout the entire process, and mysql doesn't seem to be the
bottleneck either.)

I'm thinking it's probably related to the creation and parsing of ics
files as the delay increases with greater number of events.  We're
seeing a 10-20 second delay on a calendar with ~200 events.

Has anyone else already investigated this and found solutions?  I know
Iikku recently asked about  the XML-RPC being slow, and the response
was basically that importing was treated as a one-off event (totally
acceptable in my opinion.)  Does the webdav iCalendar parser have the
same issue? I'm going to guess it does, which seems like it might be a
fairly large issue pending the release of a caldav implementation.

I'll report back with my findings, but if anyone has already poked,
please let me know.
-Elliot