[kronolith] webdav ics performance issues

Marco Peterseil marco.peterseil at partner-treuhand.at
Wed Oct 15 06:35:43 UTC 2008

Am Dienstag 14 Oktober 2008 19:28:22 schrieb Elliot Anders:
> We're getting tons of complaints about the performance of Sunbird and
> the webdav ics provider. We realize that this is somewhat related to
> Sunbird's slowness of calendar display and it's inability to reload
> remote calendars in the background, but have also seen horde/kronolith
> respond extremely slowly with the requested file.
>
> I'm hoping to do some investigation as to where the slowness is (RAM
> on the machine doesn't seem to be and issue, CPU usage is minimal
> throughout the entire process, and mysql doesn't seem to be the
> bottleneck either.)
>
> I'm thinking it's probably related to the creation and parsing of ics
> files as the delay increases with greater number of events.  We're
> seeing a 10-20 second delay on a calendar with ~200 events.
>
> Has anyone else already investigated this and found solutions?  I know
> Iikku recently asked about  the XML-RPC being slow, and the response
> was basically that importing was treated as a one-off event (totally
> acceptable in my opinion.)  Does the webdav iCalendar parser have the
> same issue? I'm going to guess it does, which seems like it might be a
> fairly large issue pending the release of a caldav implementation.
>
> I'll report back with my findings, but if anyone has already poked,
> please let me know.
> -Elliot

in some manner this has nothing to with horde.
this is an "normal" problem of the iCalendar protocol.
it downloads every time the full calendar data.
so if you have about over 200 entries -  there is of course some performance
problem :)

lightning has also added the calendar cache function.
maybe this will give you a little more performance.

iif not, you have to wait for CalDav feature of horde..

--
Mfg
Peterseil Marco

O  p  e  n    P  a  r  t  n  e  r