[kronolith] Synchronization Preferences -> Shared Calendars

Michael J Rubinsky mrubinsk at horde.org
Wed Apr 11 14:17:52 UTC 2012

Quoting gimili <gimili17 at gmail.com>:

> On 4/11/12 7:07 AM, Samuel Wolf wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> is it possible to use shared calendars as well for synchronization?
>> I can only select my local calendars at the moment.
> Same here.  Perhaps it would cause a problem and is disabled by
> design or perhaps a glitch?

By design.

  I am not sure.  I know in Turba I can
> sync with a shared address book which is very useful.

In turba, there is a 1:1 relationship between a contact and the unique
identifier (the UID value). Since all addressbooks/calendars are
merged into a single address book/calendar when sent to the device, we
must rely on the entry's UID when making changes on the device.  For
Turba, this is fine since there will only ever be a single entry for
each UID. For kronolith, once you start looking at calendars that are
not owned by you, it's possible that a single UID has multiple entries
on the server. It would then be impossible to determine which copy of
the event you want. Combine that with the fact that it's impossible to
mark an entry as "read only" on the device, this can cause all kinds
of data integrety issues.

FWIW, ActiveSync, on Exchange, does not support this either, and in
fact, does not even support syncronization of more than the user's
*single* calendar or address book.

--
mike

The Horde Project (www.horde.org)