[kronolith] synchronization of the resource calendars

Johannes Mock mockjs at idmt.fraunhofer.de
Tue May 13 13:51:27 UTC 2014

On 05/07/2014 03:53 PM, Michael J Rubinsky wrote:

> Quoting Johannes Mock <mockjs at idmt.fraunhofer.de>:
>
>> Hello together
>>
>> I have bind some resources to our kronolith server and made some tests.
>>
>> It was found that the resource calendars take a long time until they
>> syncronize the input data of the appointments.
>
> Not sure what you mean by this. The resource's event is saved to the
> resource's calendar during the same http request that saves the bound
> event. In fact, the resource's event is actually committed to storage
> before the bound event is saved.
The usage of the resource is stored together with the appointments in
the MySQL Database, but it may take a few minutes and repeated reloading
until the data is displayed in the resource calendar (on the website).

>> Furthermore, resources remain saved in the appointments even if the
>> resources were rejected for these appointments.
>
> Resources are handled just like attendees. If an attendee declines an
> event, the attendee is not removed from the list of attendees. When an
> event is saved, if a bound resource is going to decline, an alert
> should be displayed indicating this before the event is allowed to be
> saved, giving the user a chance to reschedule or select a different
> resource.
An alarm is displayed, but only after saving the appointment, and only a
short moment. If the users do not realize this warning, it may lead to
misleading double occupancy of a resource.

>> If you have two appointments using the same resource at different times,
>> for example: Appointment 1 uses the resource from 13:00 to 14:00 and
>> Appointment 2 uses the same resource from 15:00 to 16:00 and you want to
>> move Appointment 2 to 13:00 o'clock, in the resource calendar the
>> resource further is blocked from 15:00 to 16:00.
>
> Not sure I follow. The resource should have rejected the move to 13:00
> because there is a conflicting event.
That's right. The resource usage reports, after saving the shifted
appointment, a warning that the resource is already assigned.
In the resource calendar the old time remains occupied, although these,
after the shifting, has become free now. If someone now sets an
appointment and want to use the resource from 15:00 to 16:00, he is told
by a warning (after saving the appointment) that the resource is busy,
which is not true.

If you delete an appointment, which uses one or more resources, the
corresponding times in the resource calendars are deleted too, normally.
Not so, at a appointment which as described above, shifted. The link
between the appointment and the resource is lost in this case.

>> How can the "false blocked" time in the resource calendar be deleted?
>> Is it possible to delete the resource note in those appointments, where
>> the system said the resource is blocked?
>
> Resource admins have direct access to the resource's calendar so they
> may remove/edit any of the resource's events directly.
Well, they have direct access to the resource calendars, but they do not
have direct access to all user concerned calendars.
This detail will complicate the work with the resource calendars.

greeting
Johannes Mock