[kronolith] timezone problem in Calendar Views

Michael J Rubinsky mrubinsk at horde.org
Mon Jun 16 13:30:44 UTC 2014

Quoting Arjen de Korte <arjen+horde at de-korte.org>:

> Citeren Systeembeheer BCS <adje at bezoekerscentrumsonsbeek.nl>:
>
>> We like the time of an event to appear in the different calendar
>> views (Month, Week) so on the Calendar>User interface preference
>> page we set "Choose the views to show event start and end times
>> in:" to "Month, Week and Day Views". That works fine.
>>
>> Now when creating a new event in the calendar, some users change
>> the timezone in the event window from "Default" to
>> "Europe/Amsterdam". That should not make a difference as
>> Europe/Amsterdam is the default timezone anyway and all users are
>> set to this. But it does make a difference:
>> - With the timezone of an event set to default, times displayed in
>> the calendar views are correct.
>> - Events with the timezone set to Europe/Amsterdam appear with the
>> start- en ending times displayed with an offset of -2 hours.
>>
>> Running Horde Groupware 5.1.4, Kronolith version 4.1.5 on Ubuntu
>> server 12.04LTS.
>> /etc/timezone on the system is set to Europe/Amsterdam, the 'date'
>> command shows the correct local time from the command line.
>>
>> Maybe related: although Ubuntu has the correct timezone setting, in
>> Horde's "global prefs">"Locale and Time" setting all users have to
>> set the default timezone to Europe/Amsterdam anyway to get the
>> correct time in Horde. I assume Horde always references to UTC
>> regardless of system settings?
>
> This is determined by the $conf[calendar][params][utc] parameter
> from horde/kronolith/config/conf.php.

Not quite true. Horde, by default, uses the timezone configured as the
default in php.ini. The $conf[calendar][params][utc] setting
determines if we *store* the event times as UTC in the backend or not.
If it is *not* stored as such, then the event times become "floating"
times - always showing the same value regardless of timezone.

--
mike
The Horde Project