[kronolith] Changing event start date/time

Jens Wahnes wahnes at uni-koeln.de
Wed Jul 13 16:30:08 UTC 2016

Michael J Rubinsky wrote:

> This should be fixed now in Git for the next bug fix release. I was able
> to reproduce it on Windows. The commit to fix it is here:
>
> https://github.com/horde/horde/commit/2ca61864fa1cfd3462baeec7de77c02fa2b66edd

I suppose this fix was included with the Kronolith 4.2.17 release?
Because that same thing (event with empty aka 0000-00-00 start and end
date in the database) is still happening here with the latest Kronolith
release. One of our users really likes to create such events with empty
start and end date, so we see that error on a regular basis.

With version 4.2.17, I was able to reproduce this with every browser I
tried, not just Firefox on Windows. It happened with Firefox (47 and 45
ESR), Internet Explorer 11, Vivaldi, and Chrome on a variety of OSes I
tried (Windows, Linux, MacOS).

Steps to reproduce:

1) Create a new event in Kronolith, e.g. by clicking on tomorrow's date
in the month view, and enter some details (e.g. tomorrow at 2 in the
afternoon, with some title and description). Click the "Save" button.

2) Edit that new event by clicking on it, e.g. from the month view. Edit
it to contain no start and end date, e.g. by doing <Tab> <Del> <Tab>
<Tab> <Del> <Tab> <Tab> (I did this many times so I know the keyboard
shortcuts by heart). Click on "Save".

No warning is issued, but the event is saved to the database with the
new empty date.

While this is annoying but still somewhat harmless, things get really
awry when you turn the event into a recurring event. Or more explicitly:

1) Create new event as before and save it.

2) While editing the new event, delete the start and end date as before.
In the "Repeat" tab of the event, choose e.g. "repeat, weekly, every
week on Thursday." Click on "Save".

This time, there is a warning in the lower right-hand corner that says
"Failed to parse time string (-001W49)" and the form is still displayed.
However, the changes _are_ saved to the database and create havoc.

For instance, if you now click "Cancel" on that overlay and then click
on the event again, all you get is an endless spinner.

If you reload the page, no events from this calendar are displayed, just
the "Failed to parse time string" error message still appears. There is
no way around this, i.e. if you log out and log in again, the problem
persists. You have to manually delete that event from the database.
That's the really bad part here.

However, I am a bit surprised that - as per the previous fix - this is
checked only on the client side. Shouldn't there be a server side check
to make sure that events with invalid characteristics (such as missing
date) will not be stored?

Jens