[kronolith] Weather no longer displaying on Calendar

Michael J Rubinsky mrubinsk at horde.org
Sun May 12 14:57:51 UTC 2019

Quoting bennettj at thebennetthome.com:

>> On May 12, 2019, at 1:55 AM, Arjen de Korte
>> <build+horde at de-korte.org> wrote:
>>
>> Citeren "John H. Bennett III" <bennettj at thebennetthome.com>:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> Today I noticed that the weather is no longer showing up on my
>>> Kronolith calendar.  I don't actually know when it stopped not
>>> displaying.  I was wanting to show my family this, but had to eat my
>>> words.
>>>
>>> I verified my WWO account and v2 API.  I also added a premium trial
>>> API, which didn't have any effect either.
>>>
>>> I'm running all current versions of the various Horde components on
>>> a CentOS 6 server, which also uses the stock PHP version which is,
>>> PHP 5.3.3 (cli) (built: Mar 22 2017 12:27:09).
>>
>> PHP 5.3.3 has been unsupported for years already. Despite some vendors
>> still patching security issues, you really should upgrade to a more
>> recent version.
>>
>>> Is WWO no longer valid as well?
>>
>> At the moment, no.
>>
>>> I did notice in the Services_Weather component, that with the 2.3.0
>>> release, [mjr] Add support for OpenWeatherMap API, but there is no
>>> config option in horde for it. I tried adding manual entries for the
>>> key and for provider using Owm.
>>>
>>> Is this a kronolith feature that is no longer supported?
>>
>> See https://lists.horde.org/archives/horde/Week-of-Mon-20190311/058348.html
>>
>>> Thank you,
>>>
>>> John
>>

>> --
>
> Yes, i know it’s old, but that’s what’s shipped with the base
> distro, so that’s what I have. I’ll be finally testing this on
> centos 7, hopefully soon, to see if it’s the same.  My main ask was
> to verify if this is still a supported feature.
>
> The link you sent was for weather underground, which I knew about,
> not world weather online, which I was asking about, and you’ve said
> that’s not working either, so maybe no use for me pursuing this any
> further.

You can read the thread that was linked, that was just the start of
the thread.

The tl;dr; is that WeatherUnderground's API is dead, and the WWO API
has changed it's API and licensing since our implementation was
written. We will NOT be updating it because of the restrictive link
back requirements. The OpenWeatherMap driver needs some work to be
useable because of the way the location ids and searching work. It's
mostly useable in git master, but not yet fully ready. We might also
look at adding a DarkSky API driver in the future if there is enough
interest...