Installing Nag (Re: [nag] Nag still been developed?)

Francisco Reyes francisco@natserv.net
Sun, 21 Apr 2002 23:49:56 -0400

On Sun, 21 Apr 2002 18:53:35 -0400, Chuck Hagenbuch wrote:

>Quoting Francisco Reyes <francisco@natserv.net>:
>> What files do I need to change off the main horde /config directory to
>> have nag working?
>
>You'll need some variety of Horde authentication working to log in to Nag.

What could I use for this authentication?
Right after I installed horde and called ../horde/index.html it presented me with a login screen.
I have no idea against what it is checking, or how to add users..

>> I am new to horde and nag and tried following the INSTALL for both, but
>> they could use some improvement.
>
>Do you have specific suggestions? Patches/updates?

I actually have been thinking a lot about this today. To be honest with you I feel very tempted to
start work on a new framework. For different projects and needs I have been looking at different
programs and frameworks lately. I have looked at PHP wicki wicki, Post Nuke, Horde, Yerba (couldn't
actually look at it because they were doing some work with the site.. but wrote to the author and never
got a reply so I figure that was a bad start.. they didn't have a list to email either..).

After all those experiences I must say that I am frustrated with what I have seen.
Enough rambling..

Some suggestions for Horde:
-Documentation needs to be improved to indicate that one pretty much can't do a thing with just the
base.

-The FTP should only have the latest usefull code or a complete snapshot of all modules at a point in
time. I installed horde from FTP and nag from CVS. Nag is NOT listed on the registry.php of the horde I
installed.

-Both the horde framework and the documentation for each project should mention that registry.php
should be modified. As a just in case scenario the module should have in it's own Install file the code
needed in registry.php. As an example the listed requirements for nag is Horde 1.3 CVS, but I installed
2.XX (don't recall exact number) from FTP, yet nag was not listed on the registry.php I got from the
FTP download.

-Installation from modules should be easier. If this is a "framework" why can't there be a convention
by which all modules would be installed. Even if there are some steps which are unique, if at least
there is a basic set of common steps, then for each module people would have an idea of how it will be
installed. Even better.. there should be a script. I don't know about the quality of the code, it's
functionality or almost anything about horde.. but it's release engineering could use some serious
improvement. It seems there hasn't been a concerted effort/thought/planning on
installation/integration/consistency across the modules (although I only say this from trying one
module, but not seen anything specific on the main horde doc hints that there isn't consistency
otherwise there would have being more instructions right on the framework).

-I could not understand why there werent two copies  of the dist files. One with the dist extension and
another one without. Or simpler.. include a script to make copies. If there is already an example on
the INSTALL for horde then why can't you just make a script?

>> I got horde up, and test.php shows a result, then installed nag. What I
>> don't see is what needs changed in horde to let it know nag is up.
>
>You need to uncomment the nag stanza in horde/config/registry.php.

It wasn't on the registry.php I got.

>> Do I access nag directly by pointing the browser to the directory where
>> nag's index.php is? I tried that and just got the browser to stay
>> forever waiting for a response.
>
>From your webserver logs, what page is the browser trying to load when it
>hangs?

192.168.10.5 - - [21/Apr/2002:23:43:52 -0400] "GET /horde/nag HTTP/1.1" 401 485 "-" "Mozilla/4.0
(compatible; MSIE 5.0; Windows 2000) Opera 6.01  [en]"
192.168.10.5 - fran [21/Apr/2002:23:43:55 -0400] "GET /horde/nag HTTP/1.1" 301 329 "-" "Mozilla/4.0
(compatible; MSIE 5.0; Windows 2000) Opera 6.01  [en]"
192.168.10.5 - fran [21/Apr/2002:23:43:55 -0400] "GET /horde/nag/ HTTP/1.1" 200 5 "-" "Mozilla/4.0
(compatible; MSIE 5.0; Windows 2000) Opera 6.01  [en]"

Also tried calling index.php directly:
192.168.10.5 - fran [21/Apr/2002:23:45:02 -0400] "GET /horde/nag/index.php HTTP/1.1" 200 5 "-"
"Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 5.0; Windows 2000) Opera 6.01  [en]"