[nic] RRDTool Addition

Mike Bydalek mbydalek at compunetconsulting.com
Thu Feb 3 10:52:34 PST 2005

Chuck Hagenbuch wrote:

>Quoting Mike Bydalek <mbydalek at compunetconsulting.com>:
>
>>To implent this, I was thinking about putting a reference to a
>>RRD-Driver in Nic_Device_SNMP::retrieveStoreableData() in SNMP.php  In
>>here, I would just pass all the data that would need to be stored to the
>>RRD file which can be pulled seperately, or all together, via. rrdgraph.
>>

>Sounds fine in theory...

Well, I finally had time to get working on this, and I've got just a few
questions about the general direction to go.  First, the problem is that
there isn't a PHP module for RRDTool which means that I'll have to use
the binary.  In general, I *hate* calling binaries from a PHP script,
but in this case, I don't see any other choice.  One way I figured to
lock it down a little bit would be to require the .rrd file to exist
prior to running the program.  So I'll create a cli-script to setup the
rrd's and stuff for that to happen.

This brings me to my next problem, where to store the .rrds.  Of course,
the VFS seems a logical choice, but if it's in like the /tmp or even SQL
based, that will just not work.  These files need to stay and can be
quite large (depending of course).  So, the only other solution would be
to use a conf variable for a storage location, so any help would be great.

Other than that, I think I have this pretty well nailed.  So we'll see! :)

-Mike